UKPTS code of ethics for clinicians working in the field of psychotraumatology
UKPTS members who provide clinical services shall:
- Respect the essential humanity and dignity of every patient.
- Not exploit patients’ vulnerability.
- Provide the best attainable care for their patients.
- Maintain the confidentiality of patients and their families except where a statutory obligation exists to do otherwise.
- Seek valid consent from their patients before undertaking any procedure or treatment.
- Ensure patients and their carers can make the best available choices about treatment.
- Not misuse their professional knowledge and skills.
- Comply with ethical principles embodied in national and international guidelines governing research.
- Continue to develop, maintain and share their professional knowledge and skills with medical colleagues, trainees and students, as well as with other relevant health professionals, patients and their families.
- Show appropriate concern for the mental health and wellbeing of their colleagues, including trainees and students.